The £650 million of universal catch up premium funding is available to all state funded mainstream, special schools and alternative provision.
爱游戏电竞 has been allocated £105, 680 for the academic year 2020-2021. This funding can be used for all pupils.
The DfE says that schools should use this funding for specific activities to support their pupils to catch up for lost teaching over the periods of lockdown and school closure, in line with the guidance on curriculum expectations for the next academic year.
Schools have the flexibility to spend their funding in the best way for their cohort and circumstances.
To support schools to make the best use of this funding, the Education Endowment Foundation (EEF) has published a coronavirus (COVID-19) support guide for schools with evidence-based approaches to catch up for all students.
In the EEF Covid Support Guide for Schools, they identify areas to focus on:
- Teaching is the most important lever schools have to improve outcomes for their pupils. Schools should provide opportunities for professional development to support curriculum planning or focused training on the effective use of technology.
- Pupil assessment and feedback – use of subject specific assessments to address gaps in knowledge and learning – will help to identify which children need support most. High quality feedback is crucial to improved progress.
- Targeted support – extensive evidence to support the impact of high quality one to one and small group tuition as a catch up strategy.
National Tutoring Programme
In addition to the universal catch up premium, there is a £350 million National Tutoring Programme to provide additional, targeted support for disadvantaged children and young people who need the most help.
- a 5 to 16 programme – high-quality tuition available to 5 to 16-year olds
- a 16 to 19 fund for school sixth forms to provide small group tutoring activity for disadvantaged 16 to 19 students
We can use our catch-up premium to cover the subsidised cost of the tutoring programme.
We are registered with the National Tutoring Programme. An approved list of tuition providers will be published on 31st October. The government will subside this tutoring programme by 75% and the remaining 25% we can use our catch up premium funding.
EEF suggests tuition is effective when it is:
- One-to-one or in small groups (up to five pupils).
- Intensive: Focused around key concepts and taking place over a short period of time.
- Targeted at pupils’ specific needs: Tutors should know exactly where pupils have gaps, or be involved in low-stakes quizzing.
- Carried out by tutors who are well-trained and supported by teachers, with regular communication happening between teachers, tutors and parents.
- Aligned with learning that is happening in the classroom (through regular communication with class teachers).
How are we spending this Catch Up Premium and monitoring the effectiveness of it?
We started using MyTutor (an approved Tuition Provider) to offer 1 – 1 online tutoring in Maths and English for Year 11 students who had been identified in the Autumn Term (2020) as falling significantly behind with their progress as a result of school closure in March 2020. In addition, we have launched a 3 – 1 programme for disadvantaged students who also receive extra help in literacy and numeracy.
Alongside this, A Level students who have been targeted for extra support also receive 1 – 1 online tutoring in Maths and Science subjects.
Our Intervention and Support Lead (Mr Rawlinson) works closely with the Deputy Headteacher for Curriculum Standards (Mrs Hickey) to monitor the attendance and engagement of pupils participating in this tutoring programme. Individual tutor reports are shared with Lead Teachers and key staff to monitor the progress of students. Assessment data is used to evaluate the impact of this tutoring as well as student surveys to gather feedback on its effectiveness.
We are currently investigating other tuition providers to set up a tutoring programme on the school site, with face to face small group tuition for students who have been identified through engagement with remote learning, assessments and progress data as requiring specific catch up in Year 10 and Year 9, with a view to extending this to Y7 and Y8 as we move throughout the year.
My Tutor (December 2020 – March 2021)
|Year group||Number of students||Subject||Type of online tutoring|
|11||50||Maths GCSE||1-1 (10 weeks)|
|11||50||English Language GCSE||1-1 (10 weeks)|
|11||45 (Disadvantaged)||English Language GCSE||3-1 (15 weeks) NTP|
|13||10||Maths A Level||1-1 (10 weeks)|
|13||10||Biology A Level||1-1 (10 weeks)|
|13||10||Chemistry A Level||1-1 (10 weeks)|
|13||10||Physics A Level||1-1 (10 weeks)|